Just a few months ago, the apple trees were covered in blossom.
Now, they are heavy with fruit.
I love baking and making recipes with apples so when I saw this amazing Dutch apple pancake recipe, I knew I had to make it. I prepared it for brunch last Sunday and it is a delicious way to use up apples from the garden. The scent of apple slowly cooking with cinnamon and brown sugar is divine and the finished result is even better. It is a wonderful breakfast or brunch recipe which is perfect for this time of year.
Apple Pannekoeken (Dutch Pancake) – with thanks to Jill from Dulce Dough for giving me permission to reprint the recipe here. Do pay a visit to Dulce Dough; Jill has many more lovely recipes there.
2 tablespoons butter
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
Powdered sugar (optional)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
2 medium cooking apples, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
1/4 cup butter
1. Make sure your oven rack is in the middle of your oven, then put butter into an oven-safe skillet or pie plate, place into the oven, and preheat 425°F.
2. While waiting for the butter to melt, prepare your batter by beating the eggs in a large bowl; add the salt, milk, and flour and continue to beat until smooth.
3. When butter is melted, remove skillet or pie plate and tilt to coat with butter, then carefully pour in the egg mixture.
4. Bake for about 15-18 minutes without opening the oven door. (The pannekoeken will puff as it bakes and is ready when it is browned and crisp around the edges.)
5. To make the apple topping, combine the brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a bowl.
6. Add the apples to the bowl and mix gently to coat; set aside.
7. In a large saucepan, melt the butter over low heat.
8. Add the apple mixture and cook over medium heat until the apples are tender.
9. Carefully spoon apple topping over hot pannekoeken, sprinkle with powdered sugar if desired, cut into wedges, and serve immediately.
Do you have a favorite apple recipe you would like to share? Let me know by leaving a comment on this post.